After the Sadlers graduated from the American Medical Missionary College they set up medical practice in La Grange, Illinois. This is where Sadler had settled in a "country environment." He wished to remain there. He also opened an Institute in downtown Chicago where he could also have a practice in the city, maintian close contact with the medical profession, and be helpful in the training of other physicians. His purpose was to open a center for Physiologic Therapeutics, an area he felt was not adequately covered by the medical schools. Sadler's concern was in the prevention of disease, and not merely medical reaction to disease that has already appeared.

Sadler's practice went well for two years. He had many cases of surgery, more each month, "without loss of a case." He and Lena decided to buy their own home, rather than continue to lease. Advertisements from the La Grange newspaper for 1908, 1909 and 1910 show Dr. William S. Sadler and Dr. Lena Kellogg Sadler with office and residence at 96 Sixth Avenue in La Grange. Their office hours were before 9:00 AM and between 3:00 and 5:00 PM. They also advertised hours in the Reliance Building in Chicago at 100 State Street from 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM.

I must now introduce Harold Morrow Sherman, sports fiction and movie screen writer, and avid pursuer of spiritualism and psychic phenomena. Sherman becomes important to our investigation because he is the only person on record to whom Sadler gave significant details of his first meeting with the Sleeping Subject. Sherman also created a a disturbance within the ranks of the Forum. This disturbance has been described as a "rebellion" but it did not develop to those proportions.

Sherman first appeared in Chicago in 1941 to make contact with Sadler through connections with Harry Loose, a Chicago detective and later Chautauqua lecturer. Loose himself met Sadler during World War I, as a patient of Sadler's. Through that contact Loose later became a member of the Forum, learned much about events in the early unfolding of the Revelation, and with the strange activities surrounding the Sleeping Subject.

Through notes circulated by Martha Sherman, Harold's wife, and through letters written by Loose to Sherman, we know Sherman had attended a Chautauqua lecture by Loose in Marion, Indiana in the summer of 1921 where Sherman was employed as a newspaper reporter for the Marion Chronicle. Sherman was fascinated with Loose, and his detective experience, and had requested a private audience with Loose. Beyond that the two men did not meet again until many years later, in 1941, when Sherman was on a writing assignment in Hollywood.

Just before traveling to California for his movie writing contract, Sherman had a sudden interest in contacting Loose and, through a police chief in Saginaw, Michigan, found his address. They exchanged letters in which they shared their common interest in psychic phenomena. Loose urged Sherman to contact Sadler in Chicago. Sherman and his wife also recalled a contact they had made in Marion many years earlier in which they met a Dr. Merrill Davis and his wife Josephine. They remembered that "Jo" had an uncle in Chicago who was a physician and psychiatrist and who also was a serious investigator of psychic phenomena, but the Shermans had not developed contact with the "uncle" at that time. Upon recontacting the Davises they discovered that Jo's uncle was indeed, William Sadler. They asked her to write a letter of introduction. They took this with them on their way through Chicago to Hollywood. In July, 1941 they stopped at 533 Diversey Parkway, Sadler's home, where they introduced themselves.

They did not tarry on that initial contact but, on their return from California in May, 1942, rented an apartment at a hotel across the street from 533 Diversey where they intended to make a serious study of the Revelation.

In a later chapter I shall discuss the series of events which led to the disturbance among the ranks of the Forum. Here I wish to concentrate on the episode which led to Sadler describing his first contact with the Sleeping Subject. Sherman published this account in his 1976 book he called How To Know What To Believe. Chapter 4 was on The Wisdom of Harry J. Loose, while Chapter 5 described his experience in Chicago and the Revelation as Pipeline To God.

This chapter in Sherman's book was filled with acrimonious remarks about Sadler because Sadler would not reveal details of the presentation of the Revelation, and because he felt Sadler had an obligation to include material in the Revelation on psychic phenomena. Only after Sadler was dead, and Sherman no longer felt a concern about legal suits, did he bring his public attack upon Sadler. His deep emotional feelings strongly biased his report, but within that context he was faithful to the account Sadler had related to him back in 1942, as he best remembered it.

Sherman used pseudonyms in his chapter, perhaps out of the same concern for lawsuit, but I shall replace them with the real names in the following quotation of his account.

On August 20 our friends, H.C. and Mary Mattern (real names) were on their annual tour of a big city firm for which they did the cleaning and preserving of leather-upholstered office furniture. We had planned to introduce them to Dr. Sadler on their arrival and planned to arrange for their membership in the New Revelation Forum. 

It was an evening appointment, and we found the doctor to be in an unusually amiable, talkative mood, disposed to give us a more complete version of the origin of the paper than we had ever heard before or since. As soon as the long session was over, Martha and I crossed the street to our apartment at the Rutledge Hotel and worked into the early morning to make a detailed written record of the information that had been imparted. 

"About thirty-five years ago when Dr. Lena and I were young physicians together, we decided to move, but the place we had in mind was not yet available. We were directed to a furnished apartment in the neighborhood, which we took for several months until our place was ready. 

"We had been there about two weeks, and some of the tenants had apparently learned we were physicians, because one of them, a woman living directly below us, rapped on our door about 11:00 P.M. as we were in the act of retiring. She said, 'Will you please come downstairs with me? Something has happened to my husband. He's gone to sleep; he's breathing very strangely; and I can't wake him up.' 

"We slipped into our bathrobes and went down to her apartment, where I saw a medium size man, approaching middle age, asleep in bed, breathing very fitfully. He would take a couple of short, quick breaths for a time, and then would hold his breath for a long time, long enough for any normal human to have gotten black in the face, but nothing happened. I took his pulse and was surprised to find it was normal. I then tried to arouse him with every known method, even to sticking pins in him -- but failed. His wife seemed to be a somewhat nervous and superstitious type. She was frankly frightened, even though I assured her that he seemed to be in good physical shape, despite his peculiar actions. 

"We sat about and waited for him to return to consciousness, during which time his body gave several violent jumps and starts. Finally, after about an hour, he awoke and looked around and saw us. We had propped him up on pillows, and he now turned to his wife and asked, pointing at us, 'Who are these people?' She explained that we were doctors she had called in when she found she couldn't awaken him, and he said, 'What's wrong? What happened?' 

"I asked him 'How do you feel?' He said 'I feel fine.' I said, 'What have you been dreaming about?' He said, 'I haven't been dreaming at all.' I said, 'You have been jumping about on the bed.' He said, 'I don't know anything about that. I can't understand it.' 

"I told him I would like to keep him under observation, to which he readily agreed. 


"I made him promise that he would come to my office the following morning for a complete physical exam. This he did, and I gave him every test but found him to be in excellent physical shape. I got his family history, and there were no cases of insanity or epilepsy among any of his antecedents or present relatives. In my investigation of psychic phenomena I have witnessed many so-called trance states, but this phenomenon he experienced seemed to be something different. Most of the trance cases I had contacted were those of emotionally unstable or hysterical women. But here was

a hard boiled businessman, member of the board of trade and stock exchange, who didn't believe in any of this nonsense and who had no recollection of what happened during these strange unwakeable sleep states. 


"I told him I would like to keep him under observation, to which he readily agreed." 


"Nothing happened for several weeks, and then, one night, about the same time, his wife called us and said he was having one of those spells again. We went down, and I gave him some more tests and tried new ways to rouse him -- all to no effect. His labored breathing; his sudden breaking off and then no breathing at all would have been alarming had not his pulse remained strong and even throughout. The whole thing was baffling. When he awakened, he was, as before, unconscious of anything having transpired. 


"This sort of experience was repeated at different times of night, until the fall of the year, when we were able to move to the residence of our choice. This man's lease expired that same fall, and he moved into an apartment house in the same block so he could be near us(1)


"One night, when we were called to his new address, as we sat by the bedside, Dr. Lena noticed that he was moistening his lips as though he were preparing to speak. She said, 'Perhaps he wants to talk to us. Maybe if we ask him a question, we will get an answer.


Except for this portion, I reproduce Sherman's account in Chapter 22.

We must keep in mind that this is Sherman's account, written some thirty-five years later, and that it may not be exact in every detail. However, the description is so clear, based on detailed notes he made that evening with his wife Martha, it probably well reflects what Sadler had to say.

The account is highly informative, for it places Sadler in circumstances which, through research of Sadler's locations, permit us to identify the location and time of the first SS contact. It is also informative in other important respects.

This meeting with Sherman took place in 1942. "About thirty-five years ago" would place the contact about 1907, within a year or two.

They were "young physicians." This would make the contact after their graduation from American Medical Missionary College in 1906.

The place they "had in mind was not yet available." They took up temporary residence in a furnished apartment. They remained in this temporary apartment for several months.

This "sort of experience was repeated at different times of the night, until the fall of the year." This means the first contact probably was in the spring of the year. If so, the Sadler's moved into the temporary apartment in the spring.

Note that there was no communication from the man until the fall of the year, when the man moistened his lips, whereupon Lena suggested that perhaps he wished to talk. This led to the onset of the strange "communications."

Note also that these episodes were repeated at different times of the night. They could be in the late evening, in the early morning, or at any other time during the night. But always they were after the man had fallen asleep. Furthermore, they came randomly and unexpectedly. The episodes would arouse the wife from her sleep, whereupon she would contact the Sadlers, who would come and observe.

The episodes continued through the summer months, until the Sadlers were able to move into "their place."

We know Sadler had returned to Chicago, or the Chicago environs sometime in March, 1904. He had reestablished himself with the Life Boat Mission; his name appears on that letterhead with a date of August 31. We are uncertain of his exact residence address from independent evidence until 1906. However, a letter to Willie White dated March 9, 1904 shows his activities.  

As I wrote you some time ago, I have read all the (White) communications that I know of, to the family here. There is a very much more settled state, as the result of it. I have had an interesting time, I assure you, since I came to B.C. I have done the best I could, and am very sure it is not all done, for there is lots of work to be done here. I am very sorry I will have to go to Chicago in a couple of weeks and leave it. The whole Class are going to live with Mrs. Sadler and me in Chicago. We are going to rent a place on the West Side.


Thus it appears that he rented a house in La Grange (West Side) in March, 1904.

We know from the La Grange City Directory that Sadler had boarders and renters. Lena's sister Anna lived with them during the entire period of their residence in La Grange. A newspaper advertisement dated 1907 shows a Harry W. Rose providing instruction in shorthand from the address at 38 Calendar Avenue. The La Grange City Directory shows Smith Moses Kellogg, Lena's and Anna's father, living with them in 1906, and their mother in 1907. An Emma B. Kellogg, a trained nurse, also lived with them in 1909, but the identity of this Emma is uncertain, except that she probably was of blood relation. A newspaper advertisement for February, 1907 shows the Sadler's operating with office hours out of the same residence. In 1910 a Miss Francis Given was listed as a boarder at 56 South 6th Avenue, together with Sarah Willmer, a close friend to Anna Kellogg. Sarah later married Edward Van Bond, active in the Seventh Day Adventist Church. The Sadlers kept a busy household.

In a letter to Ellen White dated March 23, 1905 he makes remarks which confirm the residence in La Grange.  

For some time I have been going to write to you, and in a recent visit with your son, Eld. J. E. White, after I had told him of our experience in moving out of Chicago into the country, he told me he thought I should write and tell you about it, so I made up my mind I would.


"For some time" would take this back to at least the first of 1905 or even into 1904. They were definitely out of Chicago. The suburb of La Grange was one train stop from Hinsdale, where the Church, at the ever persistent urging of Ellen White for "the country," was establishing a branch of the Chicago Mission. According to that same letter the hope was for the Hinsdale operation to "take patients in about May 1, 1905." The Life Boat Mission also moved on that date, since the owners of the Chicago building "had doubled the rent on them." This same Church policy had relocated the Chicago branch of the American Medical Missionary College to Hinsdale the previous year, where the Sadler's wished to continue their medical education.

Between April, 1904 and March, 1905 Sadler wrote on letterheads from the Chicago Life Boat Mission, where he is shown as Treasurer and Pastor. We have a letter dated November 21, 1905 from 38 Calendar Avenue in La Grange. In other surviving letters Sadler continues to date from that address until February 7, 1907. Sadler does not appear in the La Grange City Directory until 1906; there is no independent confirmation for his residence in La Grange for 1904 and 1905. Lack of listing in the La Grange City Directory in 1904 and 1905 may be due to many different possibilities. Putting all of this together it seems he leased a single family dwelling at 38 Calendar Avenue in La Grange and moved into that residence on the 1st of April, 1904.

Since he did not purchase a personal residence until 1908 he could not have met the Sleeping Subject until after he moved from 38 Calendar Avenue into the temporary apartment.

If Sadler took yearly leases, and if he signed the first lease on his departure from Battle Creek about the end of March in 1904, the lease at 38 Calendar Avenue would come up for renewal on April 1st each year. This time would agree with the move into a furnished apartment in the spring.

Sadler owned only two properties in his life. The first was at 56 South Sixth Avenue in La Grange; the last was at 533 Diversey Parkway in Chicago. When did he purchase the first, and when did he move into it?

My search of records at the Cook County Courthouse in Chicago, with the kind help of Harold Wolff, revealed that Sadler signed a Property Sale Agreement with Susan A. Beatty and James T. Beatty on April 4, 1908. This was filed for record on April 9. Following is the text of that Property Sale Agreement.






This Memorandum Witnesseth that Susan A. Beatty and James T. Beatty hereby agree to sell and William S. Sadler agrees to purchase at the price of sixty two hundred fifty (($6250.00) dollars the following described real estate situated in Cook County Illinois: 


Lots three (3) and four (4) in block three (3) in Leiter's Addition to La Grange in section four (4) Township thirty eight (38) North Range twelve (12) East of the third principal meridian Township North Range East of the third principle meridian. Subject to (1) existing leases expiring, the purchaser to be entitled to the rents if any from the time of delivery of Deed (2) all taxes and assessments levied after the year 1907 (3) any unpaid special taxes or assessments levied for improvements not yet made, also subject to a Trust Deed to Frank L. Borwell to secure payment of three thousand (3,000.00) dollars with interest at six (6%) per cent per annum from March 30th. 1908 which matures on the 30th. of March 1913. Said purchaser has paid one thousand ($1,000.00) dollars as earnest money. The balance to be paid as follows: $250.00 on the first day of July A.D. 1908, $1,000.00 on the first day of February A.D. 1909, $1,000.00 on the first day of February, 1910 with interest at the rate of six (6%) per cent per annum payable so biannually. A good and sufficient warranty deed to be delivered to the purchaser when $3250.00 shall have been paid on this contract when a conveyance is to be made, subject to the trust deed to secure payment of $3,000 herein described, with interest at the rate of -- per cent per annum payable semiannually, a complete merchantable abstract of title or a merchantable copy, brought down to date or a merchantable guaranty policy to be furnished with a reasonable time. In case the title upon examination is found materially defective within ten days after said Abstract is furnished then unless the material defects be cured within sixty day after written notice thereof the said earnest money shall be refunded and this contract is to become inoperative. Should said purchaser fail to perform this contract promptly on his part at the time and in the manner herein specified, the earnest money paid as above shall at the option of the vendor be forfeited as liquidated damages including commissions payable by vendor and this contract shall become null and void. Time is of the essence of this contract, and of all the conditions thereof. This contract and the said earnest money shall be held by--for the mutual benefit of the parties herein. 

In Testimony, whereof said parties hereto set their hands this fourth day of April A.D. 1908. 

Susan A. Beatty 
Jas T. Beatty 

William S. Sadler 

7- No. 4184294 
Filed for Record Apr. 9 A.D. 1908, 9 A.M. 


The property consisted of two combined lots. The house was a single family Victorian dwelling, recently built, styled after neighboring houses. La Grange was then in a building boom. The house was located directly to the rear of the La Grange Town Hall, but has since been razed to make room for a parking lot. The Town Hall still operates, and is on the National Register of Historic Places.

The Agreement showed the terms of payment by Sadler over a five-year period until March 30, 1913. The "mortgage" was held by a Frank L. Borwell, who ran a wholesale dry goods business in Chicago.

Thus the date of the Agreement agrees with our estimate of the expiration of Sadler's lease at 38 Calendar Avenue. However, as Sadler stated to Sherman, he could not move into the house because it was "not yet ready." Examination of the Agreement shows the reason. Three conditional clauses were included in the Agreement. The last two dealt with unpaid taxes or special levies. The first contains the clue to our understanding. Occupation was subject to "existing leases expiring." Sadler could collect the rents from those "existing lease(s)" but agreed to not move into the house until those leases had expired.

This explains his need for a furnished apartment. He probably stored his personal household furniture until the fall of the year, when the house became available.

Given this information we can date his meeting of the Sleeping Subject within one or two weeks. If, as was common, his lease on 38 Calendar Avenue was made at the beginning of the month, in April, 1904, it would have expired at the end of March the following year. He continued to renew the lease until he stopped four years later, in 1908. This was the date of his purchase of the Beatty property. If they immediately moved into the furnished apartment, and the woman came knocking on his door "about two weeks" later, this would have been about the middle of April, 1908. That was the date he first met the Sleeping Subject.

No other date in Sadler's life meets the conditions he described to Sherman.  At no time in his life after that event did Sadler live in a "temporary furnished apartment." 

  • They were young physicians.

  • They were living temporarily in a furnished apartment, until their house "was ready."

  • This took place about thirty-five years before his meeting with Sherman in 1942.

  • It was in the spring of the year.

  • Sadler's move to La Grange probably was late in March, 1904, with yearly or bi-yearly leases on the house at 38 Calendar Avenue.

 We do not know the address of the furnished apartment. However, the house at 56 South 6th Avenue and the one at 38 Calendar Avenue were no more than three blocks from one another in "downtown" La Grange. One was on the west side of La Grange Road, the main thoroughfare, (then called 5th Avenue) and the other on the east side. It is highly probable that the apartment house also was not too far away. As Sadler stated, it was "in the neighborhood." My search of United States Census reports for the "neighborhood" in La Grange in 1910 failed to reveal an apartment location that suited Sadler's description, "in the neighborhood."

According to further remarks from Sadler to Sherman the lease of the apartment of the Sleeping Subject also expired in the fall and he moved into an apartment in the "same block."

This desire of the Sleeping Subject to be near Sadler became a part of both their lives, for several decades, and is a clue to an important understanding of the strange behavior of the man, and why he was not a "trance" spiritualist subject.








The Sanitarium, Battle Creek, MI

Muessling, references by Sadler, others



Rear of Pacific Garden Mission, located on Custom House Place

LH: Chicago Medical Missionary Association

J. H. Kellogg, Superintend.
W. S. Sadler, Secretary
A. P. Grohens, Treas.
W. B. Holden, Pastor
H. E. Brighous, Pastor


1926 Wabash Ave.
Chicago, IL

The Life Boat

W. S. Sadler, Editor


1926 Wabash Ave.

Chicago, IL

United States Census Report

The center of SDA Mission operations in Chicago. Included a dormitory with more than seventy other residents.


971 Howard St.

San Francisco

Letter to W. C. White

LH: California Conference
301 San Pablo Ave.

A. T. Jones, Pres.
M. H. Brown, Sec.
W. S. Sadler, Supt. Young Peoples Work


995 McAllister St.
San Francisco

Letter to W. C. White

LH: California Conference


995 McAllister St.
San Francisco

Phone: Page 3012

Letter to young people.

LH: San Francisco Medical Missionary and Benevolent Society

Branches include:

Visiting Nurses at same address
Hydropathic Dispensary and Christian Helping Hand at 916 Laguna Street
The Sanitarium at 1436 Market St.
Vegetarian Cafe at 755 Market St.
Helping Hand Mission at 641 Commercial St.



2315 Jackson St.

San Francisco

Phone: Scott 440

Letters to W. C. White


LH reverted to California Conference on 10-12-1903

Last date known in California


Enroute to Battle Creek from Chicago

Handwritten Letter to W. C. White

Phone: South 113

LH: Chicago Branch
Battle Creek Sanitarium
28 Thirty-Third Place

(Arrived in Chicago 12-22-03 from the west coast.)


Battle Creek

Letter to W. C. White

LH: Sanitarium with his name hand written below list of medical staff.



Battle Creek

Handwritten Letter to W. C. White

Written on Sanitarium LH but reveals that Sadler has begun work at Mission in Chicago. Lena still in Battle Creek, suffering from pneumonia.


Life Boat Mission
436 State St.

Phone Jackson 286

Letter to Ellen White

David Paulson, Chairman
E. B. Van Dorn, Super.
W. S. Sadler, Tres.
W. S. Sadler, Pastor
Missionary staff includes Lena


Same as above -- Phone Harrison 4772

11-21-1905 to


38 Calendar Ave
La Grange, IL

Letters to W. C. White

Hand written


472 State St

Letter from W. C. White

W. C. White at Sanitarium, Napa County, California


38 Calendar Ave
La Grange, IL

Famous Letter to Ellen White

Typewritten, no LH


38 Calendar Ave
La Grange, IL

City Directory

Sadler listed as "Editor." 

Residence shown as single family dwelling on old city maps. Now a commercial building.

Anna B. Kellogg, sister to Lena, listed in CD at this address for 1906.
Smith Moses Kellogg, father to Lena and Anna listed in CD at this address for 1906, 1907.
11-24-1906 Newspaper advertisement: "WANTED - Girl for general housework; must sleep at home. Apply 38 Calendar avenue.


100 State St.

Letter to W. C. White

Personal printed LH


38 Calendar Ave
La Grange, IL

Letter to W. C. White

Personal printed LH


38 Calander Ave
La Grange, IL

City Directory

Sadler and Lena listed as Physicians with offices in Reliance Bldg, Chicago.

Henry W. Rose, stenographer, listed in CD at this address, and also newspaper advertisement at this address. "As a result of the lecture on shorthand given in the city a few days ago, Henry W. Rose now has a class in that subject which promises to be most successful."

Anna B. Kellogg, sister to Lena listed in CD at this address in 1907 and 1908.
Mrs. S. M. Kellogg listed in CD at this address for 1907.

Late 2-1907

Newspaper notice shows Sadler and Lena as Doctors at the 38 Calendar address, (Phone 1571) and 100 St. street, Chicago, Phone Central 257.


56 S. 6th Ave.
La Grange, IL

City Directory

Sadler and Lena listed as Physicians with offices at 100 State St, Chicago

Residence shown as single family dwelling on old city maps, directly to the rear of La Grange Town Hall. Building was razed to make room for Town Hall parking lot. Photograph of 66 S. 6th Ave shows large Victorian home. Photograph of corner lot on 5th Ave in 1905 shows large Victorian home. Map plan shows similar Victorian structure at 56 6th Ave.


Newspaper announcement shows Sadler purchasing property from James T. Beatty. Exact date of newspaper notice is unknown.


Newspaper notice shows Sadler and Lena as Doctors at this address (Phone 98) and 100 State St. in Chicago, Phone Central 4356.



Newspaper notices show Sadler and Lena same as above. Phone numbers same as above.

1909 to 1913

City Directory same as above for Sadler and Lena. 

All following are shown in La Grange CD at this address:

Anna B. Kellogg listed as "Trained Nurse" for the years 1910 and 1911. As Mrs. Wilfred C. Kellogg for 1913. There are no listings for Anna B. in the years 1908, 1909, 1912.

Emma B. Kellogg listed as "Trained Nurse" in 1909.
Mrs. Frances Given listed in 1910 as "Trained Nurse."
Sara M. Willmer listed as "Reader" for the year 1911. Sara M. Willmer became Mrs. Edward Van Bond in 1912. Van Bond was active in Chicago SDA Mission; refer Mission LH above.
Mrs. Edward Van Bond listed as "Reader" for 1913.
Smith Moses Kellogg listed in 1909 and 1910 at 46 S. 6th Ave., but a typographical error. There was no 46 S. 5th Ave.



100 State St.


Letters to and from W. C. White

This address changed to 33 North State St. in 1911 by Chicago rearrangement of street numbering system. Sadler continued to use this address for his medical business until he moved to his permanent address at 533 Diversey Parkway in 1922.

Newspaper report dated 1-3-1914 shows, "James F. Slapak has purchased the Dr. Sadler property at 56 6th St. and has taken possession. His wife, Wilhelmina Slapak, is a physician and surgeon, and will practice in La Grange."


1449 N. Dearborn,
Telephone Superior 8715

Chicago City Directory

Business address at 32 N. State St. Phone Central 8110.


No address given
Phone: Highland Park 1000

Chicago CD

No reason known for lack of address


No address given
Phone: Highland Park 384

Chicago CD

No reason known for lack of address

2-1915 thru


2146 Lincoln Park West, Chicago
Phone Lincoln 2304

Chicago CD


10-1918 thru

2748 Pine Grove Road, Chicago

Chicago CD

Same Phone as Lincoln Park West Address


2748 Pine Grove Road, Chicago

United States Census

Listed at address:

Dr. William S. Sadler, Head
Dr. Lena K. Sadler, Wife
William S., Jr. Son

Anna B. and Wilfred C. Kellogg lived in an adjacent apartment with their daughter Emma Ruth. May Daly, a nurse, with her daughter, Eleanor, are listed living with the Kelloggs.

Many of the households at adjacent apartments and neighboring addresses had live-in maids. This address had four apartments.


533 Diversey Parkway, Chicago

Preface to his book:
Race Decadence


6-1922 to death

533 Diversey Parkway, Chicago
Phone Div 5430

Chicago CD and Telephone Directories

Chicago CD was discontinued in 1929.

1. The possibility exists that this particular sequence is confused. Sadler may have mixed events between his move to 56 South Sixth Avenue, and his later move to north Chicago. Refer to discussion in a later chapter.